Lanrutcon

[How To] "use" your mouse

uD1PSKh.png

This is a simple guide to get some super useful keybinds.
Basically, I'm gonna show you how to keybind abilities/macros/items to your mouse (aka Mousebinds).

We'll use modifiers, we don't want to cast fireball everytime you left-click somewhere. So, combinations like Shift+Left-Click can be assigned to a mount, Ctrl+Left-Click to a mouseover spell (e.g.: a taunt), etc...
Even a common mouse (2 buttons, left+right -- no wheel) can get +6 simple keybinds. I'm not counting the wheel because it can be very easily keybinded with blizzard feature.

Lop9mFl.png

• Most players don't use Left or Right Button on the mouse, unless they are selecting targets or organizing their bags. Then I see a lot of players who don't have their mounts keybinded. One of the most used things in WoW are mounts, and most people don't bind it. Instead of clicking on a icon, just bound that to your mouse...
  • You wanna burn all your CDs in one button (Macro) but sadly you don't have a nice "comfortable" key? Bind it to your mouse...
  • Do you want to taunt/shackle/root someone without having him "targeted"/"focused" (Mouseover Macro) and without pressing a "terrible" key? Bind it to your mouse...
    Note: If you are already "mouseovering" the target wouldn't be better to simply click on a mouse button, instead of pressing a key?
  • You are playing a class with stances/forms, and you are still clicking on them. Bound the main ones to your mouse...
    Note: Mouse wheel can fit pretty well here, like Alt+Wheel up/down, but buttons can still do the job - E.g.: Cat Form - ALT-BUTTON1 --- Bear Form - ALT-BUTTON2)
  • The list goes on an on... (Focusing, AoE MouseOver (e.g.: Death&Decay), etc...)

Some advantages and disadvantages of using this method to keybind (not just for mouse, but for keyboard too):
Advantages:

• There are no limits, unlike keybinding with the Blizzard feature, here you don't need to add the ability/macro/item to the action bar, so there's no space problems.
  • It's faster to keybind using these commands than using Blizzard feat. No need to count the actionbar's slots to modify the keybind.

Disadvantages:

• If you have the ability/macro/item on your action bar, after using the command to bind it to a key, it won't show the keybind on the icon.

o8c7XFF.png

First, you can't bind those buttons (left+right) using the blizzard feature "KeyBindings".
There are some Addons that let you to do that, for example, Bartender, using its "/kb" command.

But if you don't use addons, there's still a way, the best way actually.
You'll use some commands that are implemented in WoW and here they are:

SetBindingSpell("KEY", "SPELL")

SetBindingMacro("KEY", "MACRO")

SetBindingItem("KEY", "ITEM")

Examples:

/*Binding Frostbolt to "T":*/
/script SetBindingSpell("T", "Frostbolt");

/*Binding "randomMount" (name of the macro) to shift+right-click mouse button:*/
/script SetBindingMacro("SHIFT-BUTTON2", "randomMount");

/*Binding PvP Trinket to ctrl+left-click mouse button:*/
/script SetBindingItem("CTRL-BUTTON1", "Bloodthirsty Gladiator's Medallion of Tenacity");

In the end, you need one last command to save your keybinds:

/*Use one of the following:*/

/script SaveBindings(1); /*if you want to save for all your characters in that account*/

/script SaveBindings(2); /*if you want to save those keybinds just for that character*/

Screenshot Guide

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-p5wzADpyQ[/youtube]

So, now that you should be able to use your mouse to its full potential!

Good luck and have fun,
Lanrutcon

Version History
[spoiler]v1.0 - 12/02/2015 - First release :D
v1.1 - 12/02/2015 - Added Advantages & Disadvantages and colored some text
v1.2 - 13/02/2015 - Changed title and added an image
v1.3 - 13/02/2015 - Added To-Do List
v1.3.1 - 15/02/2015 - Added "progress info" & release date of final version
v1.4 - 22/02/2015 - Added video + screenshot guide + titles' image[/spoiler]

• Like 9

[quote name="Varchord"]You can albo use addon called clique[/quote]
I guess Clique only works with mouseovers (unitframes + npcs [not sure]).
A lot of stuff don't require targets, like trinkets, self-buffs, AoE "target" spells, etc.

[quote name="Pirulito"]I, for one, welcome our new mouse binding overlords.[/quote]
I just want to help those poor players who still click on icons.
Mousebinds are great for everyone!

and how to unbind that?;d

To remove all binds from a key or combination (in this case, Left-Button mouse):

/script SetBinding("BUTTON1");
  • Like 1

im kind of curious. i have mouse genesis gm56x and it have additional button like double fire ( which i cant bind in wow ) and DPI changer which i also cannot bind.

now : is there a way to unbind those 2 mouse clicks from their functions from windows side ? ( this mouse doesnt have specific software to do it ) and also - can i bind those mousebinds using the technique provided by you??

I think WoW only goes to "Button5" - Button4 and 5 should be those buttons on the side, and I guess WoW lets you keybind those without a problem.

About DPI and DoubleFire buttons. Maybe with AutoHotkey, it lets you remap keys and execute scripts when pressing buttons. Worth checking.

Jst noticed this topic, if you ever wish to use SetBindingSpell , just know that it doesn't work with function that casts spells on key press instead just on key release