TheSzary

[PvE] [Guide] [4.3.4] - Feral Tank / Hybrid

Trollgod    28

Isn't "Feral hybrid" is just the same as Full Cat Haste build with only changes in the Talents.

Thick Hide & Nuturing Instincts to able to taunt Ragnaros and not dying later when you switch to Cat back.

I saw the talents picking "fluffy hybrid" I dont see reason to pick Pulverize & Primal Madness at all.

Btw nice guide pretty fine (I did not read everything only till like Talents) I will edit later.

• Like 1

TheSzary    75
7 minutes ago, Trollgod said:

Isn't "Feral hybrid" is just the same as Full Cat Haste build with only changes in the Talents.

Thick Hide & Nuturing Instincts to able to taunt Ragnaros and not dying later when you switch to Cat back.

I saw the talents picking "fluffy hybrid" I dont see reason to pick Pulverize & Primal Madness at all.

Btw nice guide pretty fine (I did not read everything only till like Talents) I will edit later.

Thanks for your opinion! Honestly, I find myself uncomfortable without Pulverize, but I definitely have to try it someday. And Primal Madness is also debatable choice, on some fights it's rather irrevelant, but I'm mainly using these talents for all fights (Not only Rag HC), so that's why some choices are weird.

Padthai    62

Good initiative on the guide. You gonna add a DPS section for when the player is in cat and not bear? Especially when you're stuck without rip/bloodletting as your Primes. Interested parties could prolly check another cat DPS guide but you could add a section here for continuity sake.

And P.S., "in order to increase your healing taken, heal yourself but get rid of increased Health Points, which might sometimes kill you." I think you just made a simple typo here. The glyph removes the converted rage into health portion and you keep the 30% increased health (or boost to 30% if you're under):P

• Like 1

TheSzary    75
5 hours ago, Padthai said:

Good initiative on the guide. You gonna add a DPS section for when the player is in cat and not bear? Especially when you're stuck without rip/bloodletting as your Primes. Interested parties could prolly check another cat DPS guide but you could add a section here for continuity sake.

And P.S., "in order to increase your healing taken, heal yourself but get rid of increased Health Points, which might sometimes kill you." I think you just made a simple typo here. The glyph removes the converted rage into health portion and you keep the 30% increased health (or boost to 30% if you're under):P

Thanks for noticing, I'll correct it when I get access to PC, also  I might add Cat section some day, but I don't promise anything 

TheSzary    75

Edit: Added short Cat Form Guide, as Padthai suggested. I'm aware this might lack a lot of information, but let's improve this guide TOGETHER, as Atlantiss.eu community!

• Like 1

Polaroid    34

I'll start with the nitpicking; at the first part of the guide you forgot to take a talent in the 'pure bear' spec. Unless you got somebody else applying the attack speed debuf you got to have Infected Wounds. 2nd thing I noticed was the feral dps priority list, for the finishing moves its Rip > Savage Roar > FB

Overall solid guide, +1 from me. Hope it helps ppl play feral a bit better since good ferals really are pretty rare.

edit; A thing people seem to struggle with when playing the hybrid spec is to effectively use most of your other spells, this goes for spells from both bear/cat and caster form. An example on how to make a macro's for each form could be a nice addition. I'll post some of my macro's when i get the chance.

• Like 1

TheSzary    75
13 hours ago, Polaroid said:

I'll start with the nitpicking; at the first part of the guide you forgot to take a talent in the 'pure bear' spec. Unless you got somebody else applying the attack speed debuf you got to have Infected Wounds. 2nd thing I noticed was the feral dps priority list, for the finishing moves its Rip > Savage Roar > FB

Overall solid guide, +1 from me. Hope it helps ppl play feral a bit better since good ferals really are pretty rare.

edit; A thing people seem to struggle with when playing the hybrid spec is to effectively use most of your other spells, this goes for spells from both bear/cat and caster form. An example on how to make a macro's for each form could be a nice addition. I'll post some of my macro's when i get the chance.

Thank you, I'll take those things into consideration. Attack Speed debuff is applied by any other tank, via Scarlet Plague from DK, Judgement of the Just from Paladin, or Warrior's Thunder Clap (also if I recall correctly those talents are for other tanks neccesary in order to progress further into the tree). Regarding Form macros, I use only one. For Moonfire+Cat Form if Meteor was coming too close on Ragnaros. Otherwise just using some [mod=shift] so I can use one key for both forms, otherwise I would have to learn how to play piano. Can't wait for your macros, I hope that with your assistance we'll be able to create helpful section, making Druid for new players feel more fluent

Polaroid    34
11 hours ago, TheSzary said:

Attack Speed debuff is applied by any other tank

Yup, just thought it should be added because its presented as the 'pure bear' spec. When offtanking ragna for example its useless indeed. But when tanking Beth on top of the web, solo tanking Shannox or simply any fight were you are the only tank it's a must have. *unless the group is overgeared and u can faceroll it all ofcourse :))

*WALL OF MACRO SPAM*

I've made my macros around the idea of having both bear and cat on a specific button so it's easy to switch at any time. So apart from the bear and cat macro most of them are made to have 1 keybind for different spells depending on the form you are currently in. This way I got all important spells on a keybind without it getting really cluttered. 

Catform: used a 2nd time makes you enter prowl and cast Pounce when stealthed.

#showtooltip Prowl
/cast [nostance:3] Cat Form; [stance:3, nostealth] Prowl; [stance:3, stealth] Pounce

Bearform: when used a 2nd time will pop frenzied regen, a good OHSHIT button for any druid spec.

#showtooltip Frenzied Regeneration
/cast [nostance:1] Bear Form
/cast Frenzied Regeneration
/cast Enrage

Survival instincts: just cast normally when in cat or bear, but will pop bear + SI when in caster form.

#showtooltip Survival Instincts(Cat or Bear Form)
/cast [form:1]Survival Instincts(Cat or Bear Form);[form:3]Survival Instincts(Cat or Bear Form);[noform]!Bear Form(Shapeshift)

Berserk: this is mostly to make sure tiger's fury doesn't get wasted. Added troll racial and bear's Enrage to boost dps.

#showtooltip Berserk
/cast Tiger's Fury
/cast Enrage
/cast Berserk
/cast Berserking

The following macros are the '1 button 4 spells' category. If you got a boomy or resto offspec you can add spells for this the same way, just add another line with '/cast [stance:5] Starfall' for example. 

#showtooltip
/cast [stance:1] Faerie Fire (Feral)
/cast [stance:3] Faerie Fire (Feral)
/cast [nostance] Faerie Fire
/cast [stance:4] Faerie Fire

#showtooltip
/cast [stance:1] Skull Bash(Bear Form)
/cast [stance:3] Skull Bash(Cat Form)
/cast [nostance] Wild Mushroom: Detonate

#showtooltip
/cast [stance:1] Growl(Bear Form)
/cast [stance:3] Ravage(Cat Form)
/cast [nostance] Wild Mushroom

#showtooltip
/cast [stance:1] Feral Charge(Bear Form)
/cast [stance:3] Feral Charge(Cat Form)
/cast [nostance] Regrowth

#showtooltip
/cast [stance:1] Swipe(Bear Form)
/cast [stance:3] Swipe(Cat Form)
/cast [nostance] Rejuvenation

#showtooltip
/cast [stance:1] Stampeding Roar(Bear Form)
/cast [stance:3] Stampeding Roar(Cat Form)
/cast [nostance] Thorns

#showtooltip
/cast [stance:1] Demoralizing Roar(Bear Form)
/cast [stance:3] Tiger's Fury(Cat Form)
/cast [nostance] Remove Corruption

If you're a troll and get asked to use tranquility; might as well make it a bit better

#showtooltip Tranquility
/cast Berserking
/cast Tranquility

A macro to cancel certain buffs

/cancelaura Hand of Protection
/cancelaura Frenzied Regeneration
/cancelaura Prowl
/stopcasting

So yeah. those are the macros I use for my feral. There are other ways to go at this and this is in no way the perfect solution for everybody, but it should give an idea of whats possible at least. :P

• Like 2

TheSzary    75
10 minutes ago, Polaroid said:

Yup, just thought it should be added because its presented as the 'pure bear' spec. When offtanking ragna for example its useless indeed. But when tanking Beth on top of the web, solo tanking Shannox or simply any fight were you are the only tank it's a must have. *unless the group is overgeared and u can faceroll it all ofcourse :))

*WALL OF MACRO SPAM*

I've made my macros around the idea of having both bear and cat on a specific button so it's easy to switch at any time. So apart from the bear and cat macro most of them are made to have 1 keybind for different spells depending on the form you are currently in. This way I got all important spells on a keybind without it getting really cluttered. 

#showtooltip Prowl
/cast [nostance:3] Cat Form; [stance:3, nostealth] Prowl; [stance:3, stealth] Pounce

Bearform: when used a 2nd time will pop frenzied regen, a good OHSHIT button for any druid spec.

/cast Enrage

Survival instincts: just cast normally when in cat or bear, but will pop bear + SI when in caster form.

/cast [form:1]Survival Instincts(Cat or Bear Form);[form:3]Survival Instincts(Cat or Bear Form);[noform]!Bear Form(Shapeshift)

Berserk: this is mostly to make sure tiger's fury doesn't get wasted. Added troll racial and bear's Enrage to boost dps.

#showtooltip Berserk
/cast Tiger's Fury
/cast Enrage
/cast Berserk
/cast Berserking

The following macros are the '1 button 4 spells' category. If you got a boomy or resto offspec you can add spells for this the same way, just add another line with '/cast [stance:5] Starfall' for example. 

#showtooltip

#showtooltip

#showtooltip

#showtooltip

#showtooltip

#showtooltip
/cast [nostance] Thorns

#showtooltip

If you're a troll and get asked to use tranquility; might as well make it a bit better

#showtooltip Tranquility
/cast Berserking
/cast Tranquility

/cancelaura Prowl
/stopcasting

So yeah. those are the macros I use for my feral. There are other ways to go at this and this is in no way the perfect solution for everybody, but it should give an idea of whats possible at least. :P

I've got to admit, that's really impressive list, compared to mine. I'll try them someday in raiding environment. Do you mind if I use them in guide for now? Of course with huge sentence that all of this is your hard work

Brookmillar    1
47 minutes ago, Polaroid said:

*WALL OF MACRO SPAM*

#showtooltip Prowl

/cast Enrage

#showtooltip Berserk
/cast Tiger's Fury
/cast Enrage
/cast Berserk
/cast Berserking

#showtooltip

#showtooltip

#showtooltip

#showtooltip

#showtooltip

#showtooltip
/cast [nostance] Thorns

#showtooltip

#showtooltip Tranquility
/cast Berserking
/cast Tranquility

/cancelaura Prowl
/stopcasting

Really helpfull macros but you could also add this one that helped me a lot

First time you use it you will enter catform and the second time you will cast Dash

#showtooltip Dash

/cast [noform:3]Cat Form; [form:3]Dash

Cheers :D

Polaroid    34
1 hour ago, TheSzary said:

I've got to admit, that's really impressive list, compared to mine. I'll try them someday in raiding environment. Do you mind if I use them in guide for now? Of course with huge sentence that all of this is your hard work

Thanks! Feel free to do with them what you want really, it's why I posted them after all. Mess around with them, replace spells for others that make more sense together for you etc etc. That's how I ended up with my macro's in the first place. ;)  

• Like 1

Jenova    283

A few points from me:

1. Infected Wounds is a must for me. Most battles dont require two tanks (Baleroc, Majordomo), other fights don't always allow tanks to stand near eachother (Beth, Alysrazor, Shannox). So if the second tank doesnt constantly keep this debuff up for you or you dont have a second tank you are taking 20% more physical DMG.

2. AoE Rotation - Thrash + Swipe + Glyphed Maul when you have a lot of rage. Also having lacerate on every enemy gives you a ton of free mangles. Just keep pressing TAb and spam Lacerate, but Thrash and Swipe are the most important, make sure to always have enough rage to use them.

3. Cat Priorities - Remeber as a cat don't spam buttons, you can stay around 50% of energy all the time, no need to be at 0 all the time. Make sure to use ALL clearcasting procs on Shred. Under 25% of health you no longer use Rip in your rotation since Ferocious Bite refreshes the Rip. Remeber about snapshotting your bleeds. ALWAYS refresh bleeds just before your procs end to have the whole DoT benefit from the bonus. Tiger's Fury is very important also, remember to be at close to 0 energy when using TF to not overcap energy, also remember to refresh all Rip and Rake 1-2 secs before Tiger's Fury ends to have the bleeds deal 15% more DMG even after you no longer have the Tiger's Fury buff.

4. Getting the most out of Bear Absorbs - remember you don't need to always spam all skills on CD. I for example wait with using mangle / maul / swipe / thrash when I see I have an absorb already on me. As soon as I get hit and the absorb goes off I do a mangle / maul / Thrash combo giving me a high chance of getting my absorb back right away.

5. Glyph of Barkskin - this glyph is PvP only, so it's useless if you dont plan to play some PvP after finishing Firelands.

That's all for now, if I see more I'll add another post.

Good job with the guide.

TheSzary    75

Shameless Bump, some minor changes to the guide had been made. Looking forward for more feedback, and suggestions what should I (we?) change

bberzerkk    1
On 5/18/2017 at 5:27 PM, TheSzary said:

The trick is, to Charge in Bear, and quickly swap into Cat, for additional 30% haste.

This is so not worth. You end up losing DPS when you swap forms to charge and after staying in bear for longer time(if you drop tigers fury)you have minimal use of it.Better remove it from guide.

• Like 1

TheSzary    75
13 hours ago, bberzerkk said:

This is so not worth. You end up losing DPS when you swap forms to charge and after staying in bear for longer time(if you drop tigers fury)you have minimal use of it.Better remove it from guide.

Thanks for noticing. After checking out, you're right, it's not worth at all. Already corrected

bberzerkk    1

One tip for Alysrazor, you can kill birds much faster if you open on them in cat form(set bleeds extend Rip with few mangles if you get some crits you can use FB as finisher but only if you know that bleed wont kill bird until you get both worms)then you can help other tank to kill his bird or help with adds on side. This can make fight much more interesting for feral.

PS. notify your healer that you will be in cat form and use barkskin (survival is needed only if you are taking damage from other sources beside bird).

Slave    28

Good guide, with good tips.

But I'm using a little bit different talent build. I mean with free revange after charge. Replacing Thick hide (2/3) and Perseverance (0) talent for mentioned charge.
U takin a little bit more dmg (which wont kill u), but have 1-2 more combo points per 25s + some dmg. Of course for fights like Ragnaros, when u can't charge cd after cd it's not that good. 50% of the fight u can't use a charge, but still I think it is worth enough. A specially on hammer adds.

About haste in hybrid.
It's not bad idea IMO, but if u focus on mastery completly u have also more advantages in bear form. So I prefer to stay mastery hybrid feral.

TheSzary    75
48 minutes ago, Slave said:

Good guide, with good tips.

But I'm using a little bit different talent build. I mean with free revange after charge. Replacing Thick hide (2/3) and Perseverance (0) talent for mentioned charge.
U takin a little bit more dmg (which wont kill u), but have 1-2 more combo points per 25s + some dmg. Of course for fights like Ragnaros, when u can't charge cd after cd it's not that good. 50% of the fight u can't use a charge, but still I think it is worth enough. A specially on hammer adds.

About haste in hybrid.
It's not bad idea IMO, but if u focus on mastery completly u have also more advantages in bear form. So I prefer to stay mastery hybrid feral.

I'm not huge fan of ravage on hybrid. It might be decent, instant damage, but I prefer bear form to kill adds (Because of mangle resets and during second transition you also have to hold Scion, which hits pretty hard on heroic). Also on several "patchwerk" style bosses it requires from you to run away and waste 2 GCDs in order to have effect, making it actually not worth using outside of opener, because of the melee swings wasted during that time. Also recently I'd been trying mastery hybrid. It's as good as haste, and gives player higher error margin in Bear, while also increasing skill cap required for Cat (While reforgin in haste it's opposite. Higher error margin in Cat, increased skill cap for bear). Thank you very much for the contribution! 

Slave    28

Well, I'm managing my energy to run away and jump when I can't use other abilities. This few melee swings is still a little bit lower than 1 hit by revenge + it build some combo points which is advantage. Tried it in every encounter, even on dummies and always had higher dps. Sometimes just slightly, but still.
I've also hybrid tanked Ragnaros HC. I've taunted scion + FF him + mangle sometimes and roar to get out of Scion's range and then transformed in cat form and jumped on further adds letting Scion came to middle of the area, where DK's taunted him and letting me focusing on dps. That was my tactic. But even without it, 1 less point of Thich Hide talent (on many tries) wasn't let Scion kill me. In case of high dmg I had always any of CD's to use.

So I'll be still oposite to anti-revange way of dpsing :P

TheSzary    75

Shameless bump! There's been one of the biggest updates since release. Talents section had been reworked, same as Hybrid Best in Slot list. Also I'd also love to get some feedback to the poll included in the beginning of the guide. Thank you very much for everything in advance! Stay furry!