Sign in to follow this  
logenhankins

[Pve]Prot Warrior still viable?

Hello i just started on this server after i quit my last server vanilla gaming a vanilla server. I was a Prot warrior for pve. What im asking is my spec still viable when i am level 85 ?  Im level 20 atm. Should i switch?

Right now Protection Warrior and Protection Paladin are the worst tanks. They can do almost that good like feral dudu/blood dk only after avo cap.

IQ<10 info

Hello i just started on this server after i quit my last server vanilla gaming a vanilla server. I was a Prot warrior for pve. What im asking is my spec still viable when i am level 85 ?  Im level 20 atm. Should i switch?

Pick tank class u like and have fun.

Prot pally is pretty good. The defensive utility is good (-> divine protection, goak), and it got a good raid cd in divine guardian, the only other tank with a proper raid cd (im not counting tranq on druids) would be warriors rally.

@Noobert start reading the whole post sometimes.

And yes, prot pally is a shit. And whoever tells - its a "great tank", knows nothing about this game. BUT if u get an avo cap 104.2 ur effectiveness in tanking will increase so much and ONLY then u can do what u are created to.

Still. If u want to tank - Blood DK/Feral dudu is what u want to pick.

@Noobert start reading the whole post sometimes.

And yes, prot pally is a shit. And whoever tells - its a "great tank", knows nothing about this game.

Prot paladin is great tank and only person is this trade who knows nothing about this game is u."If" u get ctc cap?Prot paladin is ctc caped in t11.Any tank class is full viable t11/t12 N/HC/progress/farm.

• Like 1

I don't know, what are advantages nad disadvantages of druid tank, but warrior and paladin are do much better than blood dk.
Thier aoe is really nice. Thunder clap give lots of threat and spreads rend for all enimes in its radius. Shockwave od nice frontal aoe dmg and stun. But i prefer paladin because he he has shorter cd for basic aoe ability. Blood dks must use lots of single target death strikes. Blood boil spam isn't nice ideabecause of lack of absorb. Only D&D with 30s cd and low-damage boil when blood rune is active.
And if you miss too much death strikes as dk you won't gain absorb and self heal, what causes really bas situation. Paladin and warrior has passive chance to block, so if thier abilities misses it's not a big problem.
  • Like 2

I don't know, what are advantages nad disadvantages of druid tank, but warrior and paladin are do much better than blood dk.
Thier aoe is really nice. Thunder clap give lots of threat and spreads rend for all enimes in its radius. Shockwave od nice frontal aoe dmg and stun. But i prefer paladin because he he has shorter cd for basic aoe ability. Blood dks must use lots of single target death strikes. Blood boil spam isn't nice ideabecause of lack of absorb. Only D&D with 30s cd and low-damage boil when blood rune is active.
And if you miss too much death strikes as dk you won't gain absorb and self heal, what causes really bas situation. Paladin and warrior has passive chance to block, so if thier abilities misses it's not a big problem.

Well, it depends. In my opinion, druid's main advantage is the dodge but blood is better at single target tanking. As you said, we have to be able to attack and time our DS's properly, though. Blood is the worst option when it comes to AoE tanking and especially- kiting. Most blood tanks just go frost spec with blood gear when they are asked to kite. But at 1 target tanking, we are amazing- our active block mechanic and our mastery scale up with the damage we take, and this gives us an advantage over druid, who's shields are based on his AP or whatever( while druid's advantage here is the amazing dodge). We can also take much, much more magic damage than any other tank. 

Warriors are amazing at kiting, dealing with adds, etc. They will take more damage than a druid or a DK at single target tanking, but that doesn't make them worse. Every tank class has advantages and disadvantages, and they are all viable. If you enjoy warrior, go with it. You will be able to handle anything, as long as you have the skill/desire to learn and improve. Everything else is just a matter of opinion and personal preference.

PS; as of 4.3.4, we still get the healing and the shield, even if a DS misses. So the only issue is when we cannot attack.

Warrior has it's moments where it can shine, but my overall concern would be the single target dps. Anyone able to share their experience on this? 'Cuz I know their aoe is good, but I've yet to see a warrior keeping up on single target.

Warrior has it's moments where it can shine, but my overall concern would be the single target dps. Anyone able to share their experience on this? 'Cuz I know their aoe is good, but I've yet to see a warrior keeping up on single target.

You mean...as tank? Who cares what dps the tank does?

You mean...as tank? Who cares what dps the tank does?

I do and it might be useful info for the TS as well since tank dps is actually quite important to some fights. I'd kinda expected somebody with 13/13 to know better but thats besides the point.

I'm asking this because I've yet to see ppl say / show otherwise so the question still stands; what single target dps would a prot warrior do on let's say majordomo? 

I do and it might be useful info for the TS as well since tank dps is actually quite important to some fights. I'd kinda expected somebody with 13/13 to know better but thats besides the point.

I'm asking this because I've yet to see ppl say / show otherwise so the question still stands; what single target dps would a prot warrior do on let's say majordomo? 

So tank dps matters. I assume you pick your healers by how much damage they do, and your dps by how much mitigation they have. Saw a retri paladin gemmed full stamina yesterday. Was that you?

On Alys hc, the tank has to be able to kill the birds really fast. There is no other fight, nor on Fl, nor on t11, in which tank dps matters, at all. If you are picking your tank class by how much dps he does, then you my friend, are a fool. Even if your tank does high dps, it will still be nothing compared to the damage dealers, nor it will matter, since we have  buffed aggro on Cata. Tanks are actually dropping their hit/expertise for more survivability, because you know what- we dont  need more DPS. Your job is to not die. If you do 15k dps instead of 10, while the dps players are pulling 35, no one will notice and no one will care. Please dont give me that "you should know better" bullshit. If i can lose 1k dps to gain 200 more mastery as a tank, you can bet imma do it, and so will every tank that knows what they are doing. You are the one being delusional here.

Your typical warrior tank will do 9-12k dps on Domo. Your typical Disc priest will do about 6-7k dps on it. And i bet a hunter can tank it for a while, especially with deterence.

I assume you pick your healers by how much damage they do, and your dps by how much mitigation they have. Saw a retri paladin gemmed full stamina yesterday. Was that you?

Sorry to disappoint but no, pretty sure that wasn't me.

If you are picking your tank class by how much dps he does, then you my friend, are a fool.

No need to get triggered like that or throw insults around for that matter. My question was sincere and pointing at certain situations where tank dps does NOT matter doesn't mean there are no situations where it does. Alys hc being one of them as you even point out yourself, another example would be Baleroc if he still had his buff set to 25% and of course Ragnaros hc.

Your typical warrior tank will do 9-12k dps on Domo. 

And this is exactly my point; are warriors capable of doing more or are they lagging behind on dps compared to the other tanks? For that matter I'm more interested what a godlike prot warr is capable of instead of 'your typical warrior tank'. I'm not raiding with a prot warr right now nor do i know any good ones, thats why I asked this here since it might be useful info for others as well.

Perhaps i took it too far. I apologise.

But you see, the question reminds stupid. If your dps are pushing enrage on Bale, then your group has issues and 1-2k more dps will not change a thing. And as a warrior, you're gonna need every little bit of survivability there. You can push the group's dps up a lot, but not by doing more yourself. A tank that is strong enough to survive solo tanking Bale or Beth or whatever, is giving the group 1 more dps.  A tank that can soak the orbs on Domo is giving his group more concentration. A tank that maximises his dps is giving the group next to nothing. Im not saying you shouldn't do as much as you can, im saying it cannot and should not be a priority, and i will not be the difference between a kill and a wipe. Alys adds remain the only instance in which your dps matters, as killing the bird is your job. Thankfully you are buffed enough and any tank can do it.

Tank dps is similiar, with Dk and druid doing a bit better. A DK can tank in dps gear and do 25-30k dps, but at the expense of survivability, and healer's mana. A great warrior will probably do a couple of k more than the average, but that's about it. Cause it doesn't matter, cause resourses spent on more DPS can be better spent on more survivability.

Bottom line- you need to trust your DPS. They will kill the boss. You try to not die and to support by doing as much dirty work as you possibly can. If you try to max DPS at the expense of defense, you are making a mistake.

If you want to be a Prot warrior, you can. Read up on the class, what it can do, practice and improve your skill, and it will be fine. You have to keep in mind, though, to prepare a good dps offspec, cause you will most likely be the one asked to respec on 1 tank fights, since other tank classes have an easier time on some encounters.

I'd like to see prot warr solo tanking baleroc heroic ;) just sayin.

Just did it tonight. Wasn't super hard for me, but my healers might hate me.

Also managed to pull off ~20k DPS with 7 exp and ~2% hit.

Just because someone said warriors are shit, it doesn't mean they are.

• Like 4

Problem is, dk in dps gear is less problematic for healers and do 35k+ dps :D

they are according to healers that what matters, to u they maybe > god its ur opinion.

Problem is, dk in dps gear is less problematic for healers and do 35k+ dps :D

Any HC Baleroc Log or u just throw random numbers??